Parents and school playground fashion, any insight?

cami

Jun 7, 2008
Lately there has been some unrest among the parents of my grade three studens because of one mom who dresses her daughter in less than flatering outfits for school.

I am very open minded about appearance and on occasion I have had my teaching abilities questioned because I have dreadlocks and don't wear high heels, because of this I try to be very tolerant of what other parents wear and how they dress their children. At the same time I do like girls wearing girl clothes and this child looks like she's ready for the stripclub. The little one brings make up and has fake nails on her. The skirts she wears are too short for her to play comfortably and every time she's on the playground her underwear is flashing everyone. This is not a matter of leopard prints and glitter, the little girl wears leather mini skirts and one day she came with a paded sports bra on, that one I could not stand and asked her to go to the bathroom at take it off. The mom is no different, she wore a seethrough blouse to the parent-teacher conferences.

Some parents, some of them rather prudish and selfentitled but some of them obviously concerned and honest want me to address the issue of clothing with this mom. I don't know if it is my place since the outrageous outfits my student wears don't interfere with her education and she is actually a bright and responsible child. In several years of teaching I have seen children come and go wearing all kinds of stuff and I have never seen a reason to interfere because, as precocious as the children look, it is something that is decided at home. However, this is by far the worst dressed child I have ever seen.

What do I do? What would you do?

The schools here have strict dresscodes to go by. If a student arrives at school with shorts or a skirt to short their parents are called to bring in more appropriate clothes or they are taken to the nurses office and given something else to put on. They also must not where revealing shirts (nothing see through and no sleveless shirts). My son is in Kindergarten and has come home talking about kids that got in trouble for their clothes and the parents were called in for a meeting with the principal. They understand that not everyone has money for expensive clothes so they aren't strict to that point of wanting only the best but they do care if a child comes to school dressing like they are adults or something.

Back