What is the best MMA weight class for me?

AustinC

Mar 31, 2008
I want to be an MMA fighter. I have been waiting forever and I am finally buying gear and joining a gym. I am 18 years old 6 foot 3 and around 225 lbs. I play sports in college so I am in pretty good shape but definitely will lose weight in training. What I want to know is would I be better suited at 205 or 185 or pull an anthony johnson and cut way down to 170. I plan on toning out first, losing all fat and then maybe pack on more muscle however I am a fairly strong guy so I think the muscles from varies aspects of training will suffice. I am asking because I want to be smart about my weight and not fluctuate for the health of my body and possible MMA career be it amateur or pro. Help me out guys!

It's a bit early to be asking this question right now. You are going to have to train for a bit before you can find out. Though in my opinion just let your training take it's course and do it the most natural way. Good luck by the way.

This must be the kind of question that you itself must answer, because aside from us, there is no other that can analyze and calculate yourself if what weight did you feel comfortable and satisfied.

Way too early for you to ask this question. Way too early.

Train for a while, see what your natural weight seems to be. See if you like it too. There's a difference between MMA and a lot of other sports. You might find out you can't stand it in a few months. Just wait and see what happens, then talk to your coach in a year or so.

I think it depends on your style you plan on fighting. Anderson Silva competes at 185 and is 6'2". Cain Valasquez is 6'1" and fights heavyweight. You give up reach the heavier you go, but if you plan on using strength and staying it doesn't matter really. If you're 225, I'd probably shoot for a lean 205.

That would depend on your natural weight when you are ready.

You are ready once you start MMA training, since you have not even started, it's impossible to tell.

Back