Home made Guinea Pig food recipes?

Tara

May 15, 2008
I want to make my Guinea Pig home made food. I don't want to buy him food from Petsmart, I would rather make it myself. I mean like specail occasion food and daily food. I want specail meals for holidays and birthdays. So do you have some ideas for SPECAIL occasion food. I already have a recipe for daily food. Any thoughts. My daily recipe is just Carrots, lettuce (no iceberg), etc. Any ideas on specail food (please give multiple ideas for each holiday if you can) and any and all websites about food.

Guinea pigs are strict herbivores. Fruit is a wonderful treat for them and can be fed sparingly a couple of times per week.

This includes strawberries (especially the tops!), cantaloupe, watermelon, orange slices, apple slices, cut up seedless grapes, etc. Remove all seeds prior to giving fruits to your piggie as some can be poisonous.

Here is a list you can choose from.

Alfalfa Hay
Timothy Hay
Carrots ( in small amounts)
Cucumber (has little nutritional value but is a great summer treat)
Lettuce (avoid iceberg lettuce- it is high in nitrates with little nutritional value)
Tomatoes, seeds and all. Not too often as they can cause mouth sores.
Broccoli (small quantities only, as this can make them gassy)
Cauliflower and its leaves (small quantities only, as this can make them gassy)
Cabbage (small quantities only, as this can make them gassy)
Spinach (sparingly as the amount of calcium is too high)
Cilantro and Parsley
Green/Red/Yellow/Orange bell peppers (great amounts of Vitamin C [this is good] )
Different types of lettuce include red leaf, green leaf, and especially romaine. Feed up to three times weekly as too much of any type of lettuce has been known to cause liver damage in some rodents.
A variety of fruits including strawberries, oranges, seedless melon, apple, banana, peaches, etc. (feed citrus in low quantities, because the acid can lead to mouth sores)

Back