I just got a new 50 " lcd 1080p television and I am wondering about dvd or

Dick

May 20, 2008
blueray players......? I am wondering if there is a big difference between buying a cheaper Sony DVD player or is it worth it to spend the money on a higher quality dvd player or bluray. Also what is better, DVD or bluray? Any help would be appreciated

A DVD is just standard def video. It is backwards compatible to a 1948 television your Great Grandmother may have owned.

Do you really want to put 70 year old video on that new HDTV?

A decent BluRay player is about $120. Do yourself a favor and buy a HDMI cable from Amazon like the Media Bridge brand. Should set you back about $15.

You should also make sure to update your home TV service (Cable, Sat) to HD. The difference between standard def and HD channels is incredible.

With a TV like yours you DEFINITELY want a good quality Blu-ray Disc player. However, I cannot recommend Sony products. I spent big bucks on a Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Disc player, and a week after the warranty expired, it quit working (and their tech support is a joke). I now own a Panasonic DMP-BD65, and it is superior to the Sony player in every way. Discs load much, much faster, and it streams Netflix, which is great. And by the way, it is Blu-ray Disc, with a capital B, no e, a hyphen, and a lower case r.

Definite go for blu-ray, you will noticed a big difference in picture quality. And "DO" calibrate your TV when you get it home. Since the lighting condition in your house is not like the store's. Blu-ray will use your TV's 1080p since it is built for that resolution. The plus is that blu-ray can also play DVD and will upscale your DVD resolution to match your TV.

Back