Is there a software that converts a dvd-r or dvd-rw file to a computer compatible...

Here are different answers from me to you for different cases as you didn't give enough details:

1. If you wanna "rip" the movie from a DVD. you need to use a rip software. Just google how to rip from DVD. (I never ripped anything so I cant tell you the ways myself)

2. You may can try using any video converter. Just find one : google for "free video converter" or something. The ones that I've hear of/used are :
It's very hard to find a free video converter for Windows. (for mac guess it's impossible :DD)
Total Video Converter - not free
Adobe Video converter - I'm not sure if it's free or not
You may also try using "windows movie maker" as a video converter if you have it installed.

Once you have a video converter you just have to open the insides of a DVD and import/open that file to the video converting software.

3. If you only want to play the content (to watch the video) you better download "K-lite Codec Pack" and install it. It's a free software. It also includes Windows Media Player Classic - which is a lightweight media player perfect for watching movies when it's installed along with K-lite Codec Pack. After you've installed that codec pack your default windows media player will aso be able to open and play a huge variety of media files.
This way you'll be able to watch whatever format is that video on your DVD.

4. Finally if what u're asking is "how to open a .iso file" which is a CD/DVD image file. You can use a free program called MagicIso.

Back