A car hit my car in a parking lot, and drove off but I have license plate...

Nicole

May 13, 2008
...and pictures, what can I do? I was in a plaza going straight along the parking lot, when a van entering the plaza turned right as I passed by the entrance. The van hit my car on the front passenger door (very little) and mostly on the back passenger door. We pulled up on the side, and he motioned to roll down my window, which I did. He yelled at me saying how it was my fault, that I should've looked out for him because he finished turning. Which he clearly did not because he freakin' hit the middle of my car, and he's turning! I asked him for his driver license, and then he drove off, not without me and a friend taking his license plate number and taking pictures of his van driving off.

I reported it and spoke to a police officer, who said that chances are, they won't be able to charge him to the fullest extent since it was on private property. It was confirmed that the collision was indeed the fault of the other driver, and him fleeing the scene made it worse for him. The damages to my car is going to be around $2000-3000. How much will I be able to get from him, if I do, considering it took place on a private property? Is there anything I can do if they're unable to press charges on him?
I was driving my uncle's car to pick up a family friend's daughter for dinner, which was a driver under 10 minutes. I don't have insurance either.
which was a drive under 10 minutes*

You were doing OK until you said you didn't have insurance.

With his license number he's nailed, wherever it happened. A parking lot is not "private property" as the public have access and he committed any number of offences by driving off without providing insurance details.

But you have no insurance details to exchange. An hour's drive or 10 seconds. You didn't have insurance, so you're going to be paying for the damage.

Back